Supporting Inkjet Web Presses
Enhancing the look and durability of inkjet printing with one-pass productivity.
The Epic WebCoat 200, 350 & 400 provide in-line or near-line, UV and/or aqueous coating for inkjet web presses (such as HP PageWide, Screen Truepress, Canon VarioStream or Ricoh VC series).
By adding coating to the printed surface, the appearance is enhanced and durability and performance is improved. Coating creates the look and feel of offset printing and is a perfect addition to direct mail campaigns and other printing applications.
The WebCoat line of coaters are easy to use and run by the press operator. The Epic coaters offer a unique anilox metering system, which applies precise and consistent lay down and
supports single side (top or bottom) and duplex coating of the web. Epic’s WebCoat is a valuable addition to any Inkjet Web Press, adding eye-catching appeal and improved performance, in-line at press speed.
- Eliminates secondary coating operations
- Maintains integrity of variable data printing
- Dramatically increases rub resistance
- Adds protection, prevents damage in mail system
- Creates the look and feel of offset printing
- Runs in-line with the press, at press speed
- Single operator for printing and coating
- Precisely and consistently applies coating, via an anilox metering system
- Applies UV or aqueous coating, with quick changeover
- Supports matte or gloss finishes
- Coats top, bottom or duplex at touch at the touch of a screen
- Operator Interface: Unit has integrated console to set substrate, coat mode (simplex or duplex) and other parameters.
- Operating Speeds: Supports press speeds up to 800fpm (substrate, coating type & lay down dependent)
- Paper Feed: Installs in-line after press
- Web Width: Accommodates all web widths up to 42″
- Power Service Required: 440-480VAC 200 amp, 3 phase
- Paper Weight: 27 lb text – 130 lb cover (40 – 350 gsm)
- Coating Type: UV or aqueous – consult Epic for recommended formulations
- Media Type: Wide range of standard uncoated offset and inkjet optimized coated media (coating lay down varies on uncoated vs. coated)
Frequently Asked Questions
A: The quick-change applicator system allows a web width change in less than 10 minutes without the need to re-web the press.
A: Yes, single side operation is also possible for the top or bottom of the web.
A: The coater works on both coated and uncoated papers, however the results vary significantly.
A: Many options are available , priced similar to offset coatings. HP will release a list of recommended products and suppliers.
A: Anilox is a precise method of metering coating material. It uses laser engraved rollers to meter coating volume and produces consistent, high-quality results.
A. There is a built-in pumping system, that includes a wash-up mode. The coating chambers are easily accessible via a roll-out tray.
A. Both types of coatings are commonly used in offset applications, the job parameters and customer preferences dictate which coating to use. UV coatings are 100% solids and offer excellent protection, in both gloss and matte formulations. Aqueous coatings represent a lower cost alternative, where high gloss is not a requirement.
A. Change over is accomplished by the use of the built-in pumping system’s wash-up mode.